10.7.26 – Spiritual Groundhog Day

Many of you have begun your studies in Genesis all over again. The cycle of life and beginnings continues. For me, another new cycle begins; a new chapter. Personally, I think we are all confronted with or presented with opportunities for new beginnings frequently, but more often than not, we (speaking of me, myself, and I) find ourselves sliding right back into the old patterns, even when new opportunities arise before our eyes.

Part of my daily study is to spend time in Genesis (Bereshit), the book of beginnings. It seems to me that no matter how far into the Scripture one reads, every story has a connecting thread to the Garden of Eden—a story that has become too familiar to my "hooked on phonics" reading ability.

When Adam and his honey bunny, not yet named, eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, they run into the trees (trees in Scripture are pictures of men—Deut. 20:19) and hide because they are naked and afraid (Gen. 3:10).

"And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself."
(Gen. 3:10)

For those of us who are hooked on phonics, we read this and think this statement is in a past-tense reality, but it is actually not. It is an imperfect tense, which means that his action of the past is continuing in the present. In other words, instead of reading this as a past-tense statement—"I was afraid, I hid, and I ate"—it is actually "I will be afraid, I will hide, and I will eat." In verse 12, we see the use of both perfect and imperfect:

"And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest (perfect) to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat (imperfect)."
(Gen. 3:12)

What God had given in the past—the woman who gave him the fruit—he continues to eat. As strange as it sounds, it is, most likely, too familiar for all of us. Our past disobedience has taken root and continues to prompt us in the future... living afraid, hiding, and eating from the tree. Adam already projects what he will continue to do: be afraid, hide, and eat from the Tree. The innocence is gone, and self-awareness and self-consciousness have arrived. It sure helps me understand myself and my desire to keep moving forward in the same direction as my past. Adam was given a fresh start outside of the Garden of Eden, with cherubim and flaming swords guarding the path to the Tree of Life—not barring him from it (Gen. 3:24).

Will we keep eating from the tree of knowledge in fear, nakedness, and hiding, or will we pursue the path to the Tree of Life?

I am sure your inquiring mind is asking that of yourself!

Shalom!
Alan

www.lightintorah.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 21 25 – At the End

7.16.25 ~ New Heights and Depths

4.4.26 ~ Can You Count to Three?